The US men’s national team has reached the knockout stages in their last two World Cup appearances.
Can the Americans extend this streak in Qatar?
The USMNT started their 2022 World Cup with a point against Wales. Although it was a slightly disappointing point.
The USA took a late 1-0 lead before giving away a penalty to Wales. Gareth Bale then equalized from the penalty spot in the 82nd minute and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.
So where is the USMNT in the Group B standings going into their second of three group stage games? Here’s what you should know about the race to qualify for the knockout stages.
How many teams will make it to the knockout stages of the FIFA World Cup 2022?
The top two teams from each of the eight groups qualify for the round of 16.
What are the 2022 FIFA World Cup tiebreakers?
The first tiebreaker between teams with the same number of points in a group is the total goal difference. If teams have the same goal difference, the following criteria will be used in this order until the tie is decided:
- Highest number of goals scored in all group matches
- Highest number of points scored in the group matches between the teams concerned
- Superior goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned
- Highest number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned
- Highest team behavior score in terms of the number of yellow and red cards received
- Yellow card: minus 1 point
- Indirect red card (as a result of two yellow cards): minus 3 points
- Direct red card: minus 4 points
- Yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points
- Raffle by FIFA
What is the 2022 FIFA World Cup Group B standings?
England currently lead Group B with three points after beating Iran 6-2. While Wales and the USA are tied on one point each, Wales are second on the team conduct score or fair play tiebreak. In their head-to-head, Wales drew two fewer yellow cards than the USMNT.
- England: 3 points, +4 goal difference
- Wales: 1 point, 0 goal difference
- United States: 1 point, 0 goal difference
- Iran: 0 points, -4 goal difference
What is the 2022 FIFA World Cup Group B schedule?
Here are the remaining Group B games:
Wales vs. Iran: Friday, November 25, 5 p.m. ET
England vs. United States, Friday, November 25, 2 p.m. ET
United States vs. Iran, Tuesday, November 29, 2 p.m. ET
Wales vs. England, Tuesday, November 29, 2 p.m. ET
Can the USMNT go through with a loss to England?
Yes, the USMNT would still be alive Friday against England without a result. That would even be the case in conjunction with a Wales win over Iran. However, they would no longer be in control of their own destiny.
In a scenario where England beats the US and Wales beats Iran, the US would then need to beat Iran and England beat Wales to have any chance of progressing. The USA and Wales would share second place by four points each, and the round of 16 would be decided by tiebreaker.