The Auburn Tigers took to the practice field for the first organized practice this fall camp. Several major storylines are brewing throughout the roster, including a quarterback fight, what is the wide receiver rotation like, who are the five starting offensive linemen, and what will the defensive backfield look like?
Remember, these are just observations from 20 minutes of the first practice of fall camp. Read what you want into it.
– TJ Finley was first among the starters. Alongside Tank Bigsby and John Samuel Shenker. He threw a great pass to Shenker, the one on his left to Malcolm Johnson Jr. and then had a great pass on an escape route to Shedrick Jackson.
– Zach Calzada left with the second unit. Thrown Ze’Vian Capers for a touchdown.
– Then Calzada went into the same drill offensively with the first team.
– From left to right, the starting offensive consisted of Kilian Zerier, Kam Stutts, Nick Brahms, Keiondre Jones and Austin Troxell.
– From left to right, second offensive line was Zerier, Brandon Council, Tate Johnson, Alec Jackson, Austin Troxell.
– Bryan Harsin then came out to the media and made a “No Hat” joke referring to Hat-Gate’s one year anniversary, then gave the media a t-shirt that read, “I’m going to the Auburn Football Went to practice and all I got was this War Dam shirt.”
– Capers looks huge.
– Jackson looks like he’s put in a lot of work this summer.
– Auburn linebacker Cam Riley is very impressive physically.
– Cornerback Jaylin Simpson took on a singing role with the DBs.
– In the Tight Ends vs. Linebackers drill, the order in which the tight ends were played was Shenker, Luke Deal, Tyler Fromm, and Brandon Frazier. In the same drill, linebacker Eugene Asante was the first to go on defense.
– Zion Puckett moved well. looks bigger
In 1 on 1s – WRs against DBs
– Simpson beat Jackson on a pass from Calzada.
– Johnson Jr. had a big catch against Calzada’s Nehemiah Pritchett
– Ja’Varrius Johnson beat Marquis Gilbert on a pass from Calzada.
– Capers got a lot of separation on a route against DJ James on a pass from Finley.
– Moore was wide open in a Cayden Bridges rep on a pass from Finley.
– JD Rhym got the best of Tommy Nesmith on a pass from Finley.
– Donovan Kaufman won a rep against Ta’varish Dawson.
– Finley gave Ja’Varrius Johnson an easy slot finish.
– Calzada threw a great ball to Johnson Jr.
– The last rep we saw was Calzada, who threw a strike on a seam route to Koy Moore. It was wonderful.
We will have a similar post after practice on Saturday.
Get involved on social media with Auburn Daily!
Join the Discord
Like Auburn Daily on Facebook
Subscribe to Locked On Auburn on YouTube
Shop Auburn Daily Merch