Colombia, Mon – Led by 23 points by the senior guard Lauren Hansen, The University of Missouri women’s basketball team earned a win in their opening game of the Arizona State Classic Saturday night, beating UMass 71-66 at Desert Financial Arena.
In a close back-and-forth battle in the first quarter, Hansen totaled 11 of the team’s 17 points in the opening frame.
Trailing early in the second game, the Tigers caught fire to regain control of the lead and ended the half with a 17-6 win over the Minutewomen
Mizzou maximized a large amount of offensive opportunities from beyond the arc. The Tigers knocked down 15 triples and swapped out UMass 45-15 from deep.
Hansn’s total was bolstered by six 3-pointers of his own, marking the second straight game of six or more 3-pointers for the senior.
veteran Hayley Frank contributed 16 points in their second straight double-digit game and seventh of the season.
second grader Sarah Linthacum and graduate Haley squad dominated the boards to post team highs of 13 and seven respectively. Overall, the team collected a new season highlight with 42 rebounds.
Troup also added 12 points and three assists.
UMass put together a desperate surge late in the final frame, but a pair of clutch threes by freshman Ashton Judd and Hansen delivered the win to Mizzou.
Starting the second quarter from behind, Mizzou reclaimed the lead and never looked back. The Tigers caught fire midway through the second quarter and put on an 8-0 run over the course of a minute, beating UMass 17-6 in the final period of the quarter and leading 37-30 at halftime.
- Lauren Hansen scored 23 points, including 11 in the opening quarter. She shot 50% from the ground and had a total of six field goals that came from beyond the arc.
- Hayley Frank put down 16 points and grabbed five rebounds, making this her seventh game of the year in double digits.
- Haley squad contributed 12 points, seven rebounds, three assists and a steal.
- Sarah Rose Smith amassed a team-high 13 rebounds, marking her fourth double-digit game this season.
- Hansen has recorded six straight games with three three-pointers, becoming the first Tigers to accomplish the feat since Morgan Eye in 2013-14.
- Mizzou is now in the program’s first-ever matchup, 1-0 against UMass and 29-1 all-time against Atlantic 10 opponents.
- Mizzou hit 63% of his points (45) from beyond the arc and shot nearly 47% from the 3-point line to mark the second-highest game percentage this season.
- The Tigers hit a season-high with 15 three-pointers, surpassing their recent 14-mark performance against Saint Louis. This is the highest since Jan. 23, 2022, when Mizzou had 16 3-pointers against Texas A&M.
- The Tigers set a new season high with a total collection of 42 rebounds.
- This is the eighth game this season the Tigers have led at halftime.
- junior guard Mom Dembele anchored strong ball movement and recorded a season-high seven assists.
The Tigers return tomorrow, Sunday, December 3 to face off against host team Arizona State. The game is scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m. and will be broadcast on Pac-12.com and KTGR.
For the latest information on Mizzou Women’s Basketball, please visit MUTigers.com. For the latest updates, follow the Tigers on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.