If you’re a Michigan football fan, you have the 2023 season to look forward to. Defensively, the Wolverines are bringing a slew of future NFL talent forward and back into the secondary school. On the offensive side of the ball, Michigan could be the best the Harbaugh era has ever seen — with a seasoned offensive line and seasoned weapons throughout.
For evidence, look no further than Michigan’s current backfield tandem of Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards. Though both picked up injuries during the 2022 season, the two dynamic fullbacks compiled the most rushing yards of any backfield duo in Michigan football history in one season — totaling 2,454 yards and 25 touchdowns on the ground.
Michigan fans got a pretty good taste of what the 2023 season could be like in Week 7 of the 2022 season. Corum and Edwards faced Penn State with a then-best-in-class rushing defense, tearing up the Nittany Lion defense for a total of 339 yards and four touchdowns on the ground. It was one of the few times this season that both backs were healthy and able to show their talents together.
Corum is still in rehab after suffering a knee injury in Week 11 against Illinois that effectively ended his 2022 season along with his Heisman campaign. Edwards is also still working on an injury that will require surgery later this month. The talented second division side suffered a fractured hand in the first half against Nebraska in Week 10, resulting in him having to wear a hard cast for the remainder of the season.
The good news is that both will be 100 percent by the start of the fall season on Saturday, September 2 in Ann Arbor against East Carolina. For those who are counting, there are only 219 days left.
Here’s a quick look at some notable accomplishments for each running back during the 2022 season:
Blake Corum, Junior (2022)
Scroll to Next
- Rushing: 247 carries for 1,463 yards and 18 touchdowns
- Receiving: 11 receiving for 80 yards and 1 touchdown
- Unanimous First-Team All-American (2022)
- Doak Walker Award Finalist (2022)
- Chicago Tribune Silver Football Winner (2022)
- Ameche-Dayne Big Ten Running Back of the Year (2022), the first in program history
- Two-time All-Big Ten selection (consensus fist team in 2022)
- Named the team’s Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player and recipient of the Toughest Player and Blue Collar Awards (2022)
- Tie for Michigan program record five touchdowns in a game (vs. UConn, September 17, 2022)
Donovan Edwards, Second year (2022)
- Rushing: 140 carries for 991 yards and 7 touchdowns
- Receiving: 18 receptions for 200 yards and 2 touchdowns
- Appeared at running back in 11 games with three starts; rushed 140 times for 991 rushing yards (7.1 yards per carry, No. 3 all-time at YPC in a season in UM history)
- Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week after winning Ohio State
- 4x Offensive Player of the Game awards for his performances against Penn State, in Iowa, in Rutgers, in Ohio State
- Achieved 173 rushing yards on 16 carries with two touchdowns against Penn State
- Reached for 216 yards and two touchdowns on 22 carries at Ohio State
- Big Ten Championship MVP with 25 carries for 185 yards with a touchdown