One of the region’s top three-sport preparatory athletes has made his college choice.
Just across the Missouri state line, in Cahokia, Nicholas Deloach Jr. has competed in soccer, wrestling, and track and field. And after an official recruiting visit to Columbia this weekend, he decided to pursue a football career with Mizzou, making a verbal commitment to the Tigers during his visit.
The 2023 prospect tried his hand at both sides of the ball at Cahokia High last fall, playing receiver and defensive back. He had three top-three finishes at the Illinois State Track Meeting last spring. Before that, he qualified for the Illinois State Wrestling Meet.
Led by quarterbacks coach Bush Hamdan, one of MU’s key recruiters in St. Louis, Missouri staffers spotted Deloach at Lindenwood camp earlier this spring and then offered him a scholarship after recently joining Columbia for a 7- had attended against-7 camp.
People also read…
“I let them know we were coming and (Hamdan) already knew,” Deloach said Sunday. “So we got up there and I trained for them, ran the 40, did some DB exercises. They just watched me through the whole 7v7 and finally offered me.”
“We learned more about all the academics and my mom is big on the academic part,” he added. “And I liked the fact that it’s close to home, just two hours away.”
The staff is recruiting Deloach as a defense attorney, he said. This was his first official recruitment visit. He also has offers from the state of Illinois, Northern Illinois and Northern Iowa and is unranked on major recruitment services. At MU’s 7v7 camp, he was timed by the staff to 4.47 seconds in the 40-yard dash.
“I just needed more attention,” he said, “because most people have never heard of our school.
Last fall, Deloach led Cahokia with 23 catches for 258 yards and two touchdowns. On defense, he had 15 tackles and one interception. In May, at the state convention, Deloach won the Illinois Class 2 title in the triple jump, finished second in the long jump and third in the high jump.
He was one of several recruits to Mizzou’s campus this weekend for official visits, along with four-star offensive linemen Cayden Green (Lee’s Summit North) and Logan Reichert (Raytown).
Deloach makes six commitments to Mizzou for the class of 2023. Here’s the class on Sunday:
• Blake Craig, Foosball, Liberty (Liberty North HS); Unranked (247, Rivals, On3)
• Nicholas Deloach Jr.Defender, Cahokia (Cahokia HS); Unranked (247, Rivals, On3)
• Gabriel Johnson, quarterback, Tacoma, Wash. (Lincoln HS); 4-Star, #19 QB (247), 4-Star, #4 Dual-Threat QB (Rivals), 4-Star, #17 QB (On3)
• Marquis Johnson, wide receiver, Dickinson, Texas; 3 stars (247Sports); 3-star, #145 WR (247), 3-star, #68 WR (Rivals), 3-star, #115 WR (On3)
• Jahkai Lang, defensive end, Troy (Troy Buchanan HS); 3-Star, #42 Edge Rusher (247), 3-Star, #31 Weakside DE (Rivals), 3-Star, #47 Edge (On3)
• Brett Norfleet, Tight End, St. Charles (Francis Howell); 4-Star, #14 TE (247), 4-Star, #13 TE (Rivals), 4-Star, #16 TE (On3)