Robert Edwards/KLC Photos
Hannah Viller Moeller won in straight sets to secure victory over the Sun Devils.
BERKELEY – Hannah Viller Moller clinched a Golden Bear victory for the fourth time this season as the 42nd-ranked California women’s tennis team earned a comfortable 6-1 win over No. 26 Arizona State on Friday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Cal improved his record to 6-6 (3-2 Pac-12). The Sun Devils are now 12-4 (2-2).
Valentina Ivanov And Haley Giavara claimed the first win of the day as Cal seniors defeated Sedona Gallagher and Giulia Morlet 6-1 in doubles. The duo in 15th place Katja Wiersholm And Jessica Alsola followed with a 6-2 win over Patricija Spaka and Domenika Turkovic to earn the double for Cal.
Alsola picked up another win over a ranked opponent – her 12th straight win overall – and gave Cal a 2-0 lead as the 40th Bear defeated the 93rd Morlet 6-1, 6-2.
After ASU won their only game of the day 2-1, Wiersholm triumphed over Turkovic 6-1, 6-4 to give Cal a 3-1 lead.
Viller Moeller also won in straight sets – 6-2, 6-2 against Rachel Hanford – giving Cal a 4-1 lead and the official victory over the Sun Devils.
Giavara earned a ranking win with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 finish over No. 125 Chelsea Fontenel to level the 5-1 finish and a freshman Berta Passola Folch completed the 6-1 win as she defeated Gallagher 6-1, 6-7(4), 6-2.
“We knew this team was going to be tough, and we wanted to get out of our last few games and get better, and we did that,” Cal’s head coach said Amanda Augustus called. “Doubles set the tone. We knew, even in singles when we were in control, that we still had to work very hard – we learned that from the last game – and keep competing, keep fighting until everyone’s done. Everyone has done a really good job of it.”
The Bears continue their homestand when they take on No. 44 Arizona at noon on Saturday.
No. 42 California (6-6, 3-2 Pac-12) 6, No. 26 Arizona State (12-4, 2-2) 1
March 31, 2023 in Berkeley, California.
Hellman tennis complex
1. No. 15 Jessica Alsola/Katja Wiersholm (cal)def. No. 18 Patricija Spaka/Domenika Turkovic (ASU), 6-2*
2. Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (cal)def. Sedona Gallagher/Giulia Morlet (ASU), 6-1
3. Marianna Argyrokastriti/Chelsea Fontenel (ASU) vs. Berta Passola Folch/Erin Richardson (Cal), 5-3 Unfinished
Order of finish – 2, 1*
* Won the colon
1. No. 40 Jessica Alsola (cal)def. No. 93 Giulia Morlet (ASU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Haley Giavara (cal)def. No. 125 Chelsea Fontenel (ASU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Katja Wiersholm (cal)def. Domenika Turkovic (ASU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU) defeated. Valentina Ivanov (Cal), 6-2, 6-3
5. Berta Passola Folch (cal)def. Sedona Gallagher (ASU), 6-1, 6-7(4), 6-2
6. Hannah Viller Moller (cal)def. Rachel Hanford (ASU), 6-2, 6-2^
Order of finish – 1, 4, 3, 6^, 2, 5
^ Earned the overall victory